We recently caught up with Trixie from By Invite Only for a feature in her series of Small Business Saturday. Read about how we started, challenges that we faced, and more!-What inspired you to start ITALIC & BOLD?
Travel! Tina and I have always been attracted by simple, intuitive, and thoughtfully designed products. During one of our trips to Bangkok, we had the privilege of meeting Anek, one of the founders/ design director behind labrador, a popular Thai label that produces recycled leather goods and eco-friendly stationery. He inspired us with his design philosophy - high quality reduces consumerism...
Don't want to go the predictable Valentine's Day route? We've compiled a list of handy alternative ideas for all you rule-breakers.1. A fancy dinner with fireworks doesn't need to cost you a fortune. Pack a picnic and head to Love Is In The Air at Gardens by the Bay to enjoy an alfresco dinner for two (homecooked or bought, your choice) with free live music by local bands. Fireworks go off at 9pm.
2. For a fun Valentine's Day alternative, relive the good old memories of dating as a teen. Go ice-skating at JCube or Kallang Leisure Park or hit up the bowling alley. Call up friends and go head-to-head against each other. Losers treat the winning team to slurpees at 7-Eleven.
3. Skip the gift; look for an experience. Instead of yet another spa retreat, head to Palm Avenue Float Club for a completely unique healing experience. While you won't get to bob heads together as a couple, you both will emerge from your individual floatation pods feeling physically and mentally recharged - as proven by science.
4. Want to forgo the sappy mush but still mark the day with something special? Spread the love by volunteering. Tip: some non-profit organizations offer volunteering opportunities but may require more than one-off commitment - if you're looking to support an organization you feel for, consider making a donation instead.
5. Take advantage of the weekend and go on a road trip to Malaysia. Whether you decide on a beach getaway at Desaru or a food trail in Malacca, take heed of some of these useful tips and make sure you have your camera ready (cue Carlina Teteris's great Malaysian road trip).
6. If you don't have time for a full-fledged weekend getaway, Kranji countryside is your key to a romantic escape from the city. You can pet farm animals at Hay Dairies, shop local produce or even take a cooking class at Bollywood Veggies, and get a feeler for farm life at Farmart Centre.
8. Whether you're two halves of a whole, two peas in a pod, or partners-in-crime who just get each other, show us how you both think in sync - and you may even score a Valentine's present on us. Piece together some winning #smashingmatching outfits to stand a chance of winning a pair of Italic bracelets by Imperial United.
PS. If you're looking to do some last-minute shopping, we'll be popping up at Public Garden this weekend! Come say hi at the National Museum on 7 & 8 Feb 2015, from 1-7pm.Image credits: Gardens by the Bay, National Parks